Sunday, February 21, 2010

Read The Label


Take a second to read the ingredients label on that box in your hand...


?








A couple of months ago, I was inspired by a documentary.

I casually watched "Food Inc.", not expecting to leave with much more than a broader knowledge of the food industry.

What this movie did for me, was plant the seeds of nutritional knowledge. I became more interested in reading the ingredients of the food I was ingesting, and feeding to my children. Slowly I became more familiar with a certain list of ingredients.


Here is the ingredient list from a box of Lucky Charms:

Whole Grain Oats, Marshmallows (Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Gelatin, Calcium Carbonate, Yellows 5 & 6, Blue 1, Red 40, Artificial Flavor), Sugar, Oat Flour, Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Salt, Trisodium Phosphate, Color Added, Artificial Flavor, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) Added to Preserve Freshness. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), A B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A (Palmitate), A B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D

Should my 4 year old daughter be consuming four different artificial colors, and several refined corn chemicals/ingredients each morning for breakfast?

...5 days a week?

...for 18+ years?

These are the questions I began asking myself, and discussing with my wife.

Our Conclusion :

"Until our children are old enough to make their own nutritional decisions, it is our responsibility to present them with the best available option".

Well, here we go....






No comments:

Post a Comment